Shrimp and Rice Skillet
Prep Time 20 MIN
Cook Time 20 MIN
Latin-style shrimp and rice recipe flavored with fire-roasted tomatoes, onion and garlic for a one skillet dish
- 1 can (540 mL) Aylmer® Accents® Petite Cut Stewed Tomatoes with Spicy Red Pepper, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) Hunt's® Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Pure Wesson® Canola Oil, divided
- 1 pound shrimp, thawed if frozen, peeled, deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons caldo con sabor de pollo (chicken bouillon)
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and pepper; cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet; set aside and keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice; cook 3 minutes more or until rice is browned lightly, stirring frequently.
- Add drained tomatoes, sauce, water and bouillon to skillet; stir to combine. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Return shrimp to skillet; add peas. Heat 3 minutes more or until shrimp and peas are hot.