Cheesy Eggplant Parmesan Dip
Prep Time 10 MIN
Cook Time 30 MIN
Aylmer® Accents® Garlic and Olive Oil Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 can (540 mL) Aylmer® Accents® Garlic and Olive Oil Stewed Tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 small eggplants, diced (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/ 4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 pkg 8 oz (250 g) brick-style plain cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh basil, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) bread crumbs
- 4 pita breads (7 inch/18 cm), cut into 6 wedges each
- Preheat oven to 400 ̊ F (200 ̊ C). Heat 3 tbsp (45 mL) oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook eggplant, oregano, salt and pepper for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes and bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cream cheese, 1 cup (250 mL) mozzarella, 1/4 cup (60 mL) Parmesan, 2 tbsp (30 mL) basil, parsley and lemon juice. Scrape into greased 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over top. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
- Meanwhile, toss pita bread with remaining oil. Arrange in single layer on large baking sheet; bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Serve with dip.
- Alternatively, serve dip with toasted baguette slices or ciabatta bread.